Hempstead, Island Park urge repowering of Barrett power plant
What can IP property owners do about LIPA and the Barrett Power Plant Issue?
1. Create an online petition for Na Co Tax Assessor’s Office to
- Dismiss the tax certiorari appeals by LIPA to their office.
- Say that LIPA, Keyspan, National Grid, et al must honor the long-standing provision that was set forth in the Power Supply Agreement whereby Governor Pataki and Richard Kessel promised there would be no tax certiorari challenges.
- Say you support the Island Park UFSD’s lawsuit against the utilities that are trying to cut revenues unjustly to the community by reducing their taxes.
- Say that shifting the tax burden from LIPA to the IP homeowner will be devastating and why.
2. Create an online petition to LIPA, Key Span and National Grid Boards of Trustees.
- Include same points in bullets as above.
3. Go online to each elected official’s webpages. Go to the Contact Us tab and copy the same points in bullets above.
4. Write letters to elected officials stating the above. Include same points in bullets as above.
5. Write to utility executives and to their Boards of Directors. Include same points in bullets as above.
6. Attend LIPA Board Meetings. Prepare a written statement that you sign (name and address), read publicly, and submit for the record. In your statement ask LIPA to honor the Public Supply Agreement and withdraw their tax certiorari appeals with the Nassau Co Assessor’s Office. Explain why a raise in your taxes will be devastating to your family and how it will result in the loss of your home, etc.
7. Write letters to the Editors of Newsday and Herald. Include same points in bullets as above.
8. With local organizations, e.g., Civic Association, Kiwanis, Chambers of Commerce, Places of Worship, Public Library, IP Theater Group, etc. create publicity campaigns to have the community’s voice heard on the matter. Include same points in bullets as above.
District's History of Advocacy re: Barrett Power Plant
- Judge Dismisses Suit seeking to halt LIPA tax challenges for plants.pdf
- Opinion of 4-16-18 to Newsday "Don't let LIPA break its promise".pdf
- Response of 3-19-18 to Newsday Editorial from School Districts (not published by Newsday).pdf
- Newsday Opinion Editorial of 3-17-18 "A taxing decision for districts with old LIPA power plants".pdf
- Local officials blast LIPA tax cert.pdf
- Hempstead, Island Park urge repowering of Barrett power plant
- Call For New Power Plant Study.pdf
- Barrett Power Plant Tax Assessment 01-17-18.pdf
- Island Park's PTA Appeal.pdf
- Robert Cohen Barrett Plant Litigation Update December 18.pdf
- I.P. schools urge community action on LIPA as deadlines loom
- Sample Letter and Content to Insert in Email or Website Form.docx
- List of Elected Officials and Utility Officials to Contact.pdf
- November 27, 2017 Board of Ed Meeting: Summary of LIPA Case To Date from Attorney, Robert H Cohen
- Barrett Power Plant Tax Facts 2014-15 and Impact on Homeowners.pdf
- November 20, 2017 Letter to all Island Park Residents from Dr. Rosmarie Bovino, Re: Update on LIPA property taxes and Barrett Power Plant
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” Fall 2017 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the “Progress in Barrett Proceedings,” written by Dr. Rosmarie Bovino
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” Fall 2017 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the “Progress in Barrett Proceedings,3. Island Park Public Schools 2017-2018 District Calendar, mailed to all Island Park Residents, referencing the Message from the Superintendent of Schools, advocating on behalf of the community against “Payments in Lieu of Taxes,” Opposing LIPA’s appeal for a major reduction in the tax rate for the Barrett Power Plan. written by Dr. Rosmarie Bovino
- Syntax’s Press Release referencing the October 23, 2017 BOE meeting announcing that the November 27, 2017 BOE meeting will provide a report on the Barrett Power Plant tax certiorari proceedings.
- August 28, 2017 Board of Education Agenda referencing the updates from Robert Cohen, counsel for the district, with reference to the BOE of IPUFSD vs. LIPA proceedings.f
- Island Park Website Posing on August 18, 2017, announcing that at the August 28, 2017 BOE Meeting the District School Counsel will update the community on the Barrett Power Plant.
- August 18, 2017 letter to Island Park Schools Audit Community Members, by Dr. Rosmarie Bovino, referencing the discussion at the May 17, 2017 Public Library meeting regarding the Barret Power Plant and LIPA’s appeal for reduction in its tax rate will be discussed at the August 28, 2017 BOE Meeting.
- Article in Newsday dated May 25, 2017 written by Mark Harrington of Newsday. Energy Storage Batteries: 109M.
- Article in Newsday dated May 24, 2017 written by Mark Harrington of Newsday. LIPA Tax Challenges Get a Court Date.
- Memo dated May 18, 2017 from Lamb & Barnosky, LLP, IP District Counsel, regarding meeting with LIPA on May 17, 2017
- Article in LI Herald (Oceanside/Island Park edition) dated March 15, 2017, written by Ben Strack, Concerned about Barrett, referencing the Island Park District Counsel, Bob Cohen’s statement on how the property taxes LIPA pays for the Barrett Plant has comprised about 47% of the districts total tax base over the last few years.
- Article in LI Herald (Oceanside/Island Park edition) dated February 3, 2016, written by Rebecca McInitsky, LIPA Payments Still in dispute, referencing the Island Park District Counsel, Bob Cohen’s statement on how PILOT funds are part of the tax levy calculations.
- Letter from Lamb & Barnosky, LLP, from Bob Cohen, dated February 5, 2016, written to Justice Anthony F. Marano.
- Article in Newsday dated February 24, 2016, written by Celeste Hadrick, LIPA Ordered to Pay.
- Affidavit of Marie Donnelly in support of Article 78 Application and provisional Relief dated January 27, 2016.
- Article in Newsday dated January 31, 2016, written by Joye Brown, Nassau, LIPA Still Stuck in Tug-of-war.
- Article in Newsday dated January 28, 2016, written by Celeste Hadrick, School Awaits LIPA Payments.
- October 20, 2015 letter to the Honorable Denise Ford, Nassau County Legislator, written by Dr. Rosmarie Bovino.
- October 8, 2015 letter to Dr. Rosmarie Bovino, Superintendent of Island Park Schools written by the Honorable Denise Ford, Legislator .
- September 24, 2015 letter to the Honorable Denise Ford, Nassau County Legislator, written by Dr. Rosmarie Bovino.
- Nassau County Department of Assessment letter to Dr. Rosmarie Bovino, Superintendent of Island Park Schools written by the James E. Davis, referencing receipt of the District’s letter concerning LIPA properties from the 2015/16 school tax roll.
- Island Park Superintendents’ response to the County Executive Mangao’s proposal to give PSEG special property tax exemption.
- Article in Newsday dated September 20, 2015, written by Celeste Hadrick, Mangano Proposal: Give PSEG Special Property Tax Exception.
- Barrett Power Plant Tax Facts, 2014-2015
- Letter from Lamb & Barnosky, LLP, from Bob Cohen, dated April 15, 2014, written to Fred Parola, Executive Director of the Town of Hempstead Industrial Development Agency
- Letter from Lamb & Barnosky, LLP, from Bob Cohen, dated April 10, 2014, written to Kathleen H. Burgess, Secretary at the New York State Public Service Commission.
- Email from Robert H. Cohen, dated April 10, 2014. Subject: Comment Acknowledgment for Matter Number 13-F00464/13-02095.
- National Grid, January 2014, Proposed E.F. Barrett Power Station Repowering article.
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” May 2012 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the BOE message on Barret Power Plant and LIPA’s appeal for reduction in its tax rate.
- Memo dated December 14, 2011 from Lamb & Barnosky, LLP to the IP BOE regarding the informational meetings regarding status of Barrett Power Plant.
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” May 2011 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the BOE message to advocate aggressively for the IP taxpayers in respect to LIPA’s petition for a reduction in the assessed value of the Barrett Power Plant.
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” February 2011 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the Superintendent and BOE appeal to the community.
- Island Park UFSD, Sample Letter to Elected Officials.
- January 21, 2011 letter to all Island Park Residents from Dr. Rosmarie Bovino, asking residents to be pro-active in addressing the property tax issues.
- Island Park Schools, “The Islander,” May 2010 issue. Sent to all Island Park Residents, referencing the projected 2010-2011 revenue. Island Park has one of the lowest school tax rates in Nassau county with LIPA/National Grid paying 46% of the property taxes.
- January 12, 2006 letter from Dr. Edward Price, Superintendent of Schools to Senator Dean Skelos.
- February 25, 1999, Long Range Committee Proposed Agenda.
- April 22, 1999, Long-Range planning committee.
- Memo dated June 19, 1998, from Daniel Kinley, Interim Executive Director of NYS School Boards Association to Superintendents and Board President.
- Fax dated July 1, 1998 from NYS School Boards Association, requesting RSVP to the Power Facility Taxation Issue meeting on July 8, 1998 in Albany, NY.
- Memo dated April 6, 1998 from Dr. Edward Price to Philip S. Cicero regarding LIPA’s bonds.
- Memo dated February 25, 1998 from Dr. Edward Price to Philip S. Cicero regarding LIPA/LILCO meeting Dr. Price attended.